This question keeps popping up for coaches at all levels!
Have you found yourself asking:
- Is this still coaching?
- Do I need to refer my client to a therapist?
- Does my client really need therapy or counselling or can I hold this space myself?
- Am I allowed to give advise?
- Is that not something that consultants do?
- How is this different from just being a friend right now?
- Where’s the line to mentoring?
- And what’s the difference between all of these practices?
- Shouldn’t we work integratively?
- What about ethics, and morals, and the law, and the framework of my professional coaching body (like the ICF, AC, EMCC)?
- Would I risk my accreditation if I decided to (continue to) work with this person?
- And most importantly, is my client at risk?
- How can I make sure they get the best service possible?
- Where’s the line? And whose line is it anyway???